Hays Co. Bar-B-Que, San Marcos
San Marcos is the home of Texas State University, the San Marcos river, and a Texas Monthly Top 50 joint. Hays County Bar-B-Que was named to that prestigious list in 2013 and hasn’t looked back since. Owners Michael and Asenette Hernandez were originally located a few miles east on Hunter road, but relocated to the frontage road of IH-35 in the middle of town. Since then, business has taken off with expansion hopes in the near future.
Those are the basics.
What makes Hays Co. special is its great food, yes, but the outdoor area that allows for some great live music. It makes it a place to come for more than just a bite to eat. On this particular day, the Tejas Brothers were jamming out on the 5 acres of land that has been set up for live entertainment with covered seating, a converted bus for drinks, and a playground for the kiddos.
The food is cooked in the outdoor pit area by pitmaster Aaron Hernandez; one of the youngest pitmasters in Texas, and is knocking out brisket, ribs, turkey, pork chops, in-house made sausage and much, much more.
I love brisket, but today I almost fell out of my chair with the burnt ends. Some times you get ends that are way overcooked, so you don’t get to appreciate them as much, but they were on point today. Definitely get them on your next visit.
Back to the expansion.
The converted car dealership has its limitations. Mostly in the dining area, so know that it gets PACKED during lunch. During the summer this is especially important because not everyone wants to eat outdoors. Note that when it cools down, the outside dining area will be perfect for grub. Michael was excited to talk about the hopeful expansion plans that would allow for more eating area inside, I am too.
What to know:
- Lunch and dinner crowd gets packed, either don’t complain about the wait, or go on the off hours. They know when to have food ready, so don’t worry.
- Check out the website for upcoming Live Music events.
- Basic beer selections available here. Not a craft beer joint, yet.
What’s around town:
- San Marcos river during the summer is a great place to drop a float. Check out the Lions Club for more information.
- Make sure you hit up The Taproom if you ARE wanting to whet your whistle with a crafty brew.